Sunday, May 13, 2012

Carpe Vino


Welcome to my world of wine.  Let’s take a journey together through the fertile fields and tangled vines of wine country and find the perfect pairing for any occasion.

Food and wine have long been a passion of mine. Don’t tell my husband, but my first true love was a bottle of 1997 Brunello Di Montalcino.  Nothing quite captivates your senses or evokes as much emotion as that perfect bottle of vino.   In fact, it was a 97’ Brunello that I served to my future husband on our third date that landed a ring on my finger.  Needless to say, there is special place in my heart for this Italian beauty.

Don’t get me wrong, I love a great Bordeaux, Napa Cab, crisp German Riesling or just about another varietal depending on the mood, but this girl’s heart belongs in Tuscany.

Too much wine too little time.  That’s my motto!  Of course, we all have that go-to wine, the one we love, or the one that’s simply safe.  If I can give you one piece of advice when it comes to wine, take a chance!  Life’s too short to be boxed in to one or two standard selections.  As my mom always said, “try something new, you might just like it.” 

With more than 5,000 grape varietals, it’s no wonder the occasional wine drinker gets a little intimidated when perusing the shelves of their local wine store.  There’s white, red, rose, sparkling and that’s just the beginning. 

If you go with a white – do you choose a Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Chenin Blanc, Viognier, Muscadet, or perhaps a  Riesling?

Or what about red?  Is it a Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, or even a Malbec?  We haven’t even talked about Old World or New World – feeling dizzy yet?

It’s no wonder people feel like they have a case of vertigo when attempting to make a simple selection to go with the sumptuous dinner that awaits them. 

It doesn’t have to be that way. Wine doesn’t have to be Pandora’s Box.  Your palate holds the key to unlocking the mystery and I am here to help. 

Like a great artist that turns a blank canvas into a masterpiece – we can use our palates to create our own work of art by marrying the perfect wine and food combination.

So tonight, I think I am going to whip up a blackened tuna steak with a black bean corn salsa and avocado cream sauce.  I think this one calls for a Russian River Valley Chardonnay.  Not into white?  Go for a nice Syrah instead.
  
Leave your GPS at home and let your palate be your guide!

Carpe Vino,

Crystal  

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO excited about your blog. This is WAY overdue. I'm proud of you!! There's no better person I'd rather get wine advice from than you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you! You're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are we in for a treat, or what? If your writing, sommeliering and culinary talents come together on this blog, it will be on the top of my blog list. Right up there with Tom's great photography. But not me to compare apples and oranges. Luv 'em both. :-)
    cwn

    ReplyDelete